In Mumbai, the RTO has drafted rules to penalize and suspend driving licenses for offensive driving. Between 2015 & 2017 alone, around 38 thousand people reported lost their lives in road accidents.
Drivers’ license will be invalid for a duration of at least 3 months in the event of offenses being committed for the following:
- Drunk driving above the permissible limit or under the influence of alcohol
- Over-Speeding or reckless driving
- Jumping the red signal
- Using mobile phones while driving
- Ferrying passengers in freight vehicles
- Carrying goods above the permissible limit in trucks
- Driving without proper documentation
Moreover, with the enforcement of these new rules, the traffic cops are hoping to bring down the fatalities related to traffic accidents, ensuring safety among passengers.
With the rise in traffic accidents on the rise, the Supreme Court has come down heavy on the Traffic Department. Also, the Supreme Court had also set up a committee to address concerns related to this matter. Hence the Additional Director General of Police issued a notification in this regard.
Read more such articles at Newsstack.